Would you like to stop snoring?
Many people look at snoring as just a noisy nighttime nuisance, but snoring can be an indicator that your nighttime breathing, and your sleep, aren’t as healthy as they could be.
If your spouse or a family member constantly complains about your snoring, you probably know you have a problem on your hands, but , if you don’t have anyone to tell you what you sound like when you are fast asleep, here are some less obvious clues:
- Waking up tried
- A sore throat or nasal problems
- Daytime fatigue
What causes snoring?
As you relax into the deeper stages of sleep, your soft palate, tongue and throat relax too. For some people, these throat tissues relax so much they partially block the airway. As air is forced past them, they vibrate. The narrower your airway, the louder the snoring. Why? The less space the air has to move through, the larger the force, and the more the tissues vibrate.
Here are a couple of factors that could contribute to your snoring:
- A low, thick soft palate
- Being overweight
- Having an elongated uvula (the piece of tissue that hangs from your soft palate)
- Too much alcohol before bed
- Chronic nasal congestion or a deviated septum
- Sleep apnea
Yes, there are snoring remedies
There are many simple snoring remedies you can do on your own.
- Lose weight. Even losing a few pounds can help
- Sleep on your side instead of your back
- Avoid alcohol before bed
- Don’t stay up too late. If you are exhausted when you go to bed, you are more likely to snore
- Un-stuff your nose. Try hot showers, salt water nasal rinses, or a neti pot
- Buy new pillow. Dust mites thrive in old pillows and can clog your nasal passages
- Avoid becoming dehydrated. Drinking lots of water during the day may help you snore less at night
If these snoring remedies don’t stop your snoring, you may benefit from dental help. Snoring appliances, or mouthguards custom fitted by a dentist can help keep your jaw in the correct position to stop your throat tissues from blocking your airways. When your airway is open, the noisy vibrations should come to an end.
Put an end to noisy snoring
If you have ever been abruptly woken by an elbow jab because of your snoring, you are not alone. The good news is there are treatments that can help you get back to quiet. healthy sleep.